31 May 2011

Die, Plank-Eye!

Christianity is a lifestyle unlike any other.  The longer I walk with Christ, my sense of inadequacy and failure increases.  This occurs because I am drawn to greater faith in Christ, recognizing my inability to do the first works on my own.  Also I am realizing more and more how wrong I have been in the past while at the time I was sure I was right!  Little by little, God removes the spiritual pride that knowledge and experience can bring.

The LORD gave me some fresh insight on Matthew 7:1-5 as I mowed the lawn today:  "Judge not, that you be not judged. 2 For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you. 3 And why do you look at the speck in your brother's eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye? 4 Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me remove the speck from your eye'; and look, a plank is in your own eye? 5 Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye."

How many times over the years have I suffered from "plank-eye syndrome"?  I looked upon a situation and judged people involved:  who was right, wrong, what could have or should have been done.  How easy it is to ignore our own faults and disobedience because of the perceived wrongs and faults of others!  When we have a plank in our own eyes we CANNOT see clearly or even think correctly.  I find that when I repent and remove the plank in my eye, the speck I thought I saw in my brother's eye disappears too.  Had my brother changed?  Not at all:  but my perspective was clarified through repentance.  A wise man once said, the best men seen themselves in the worst light.  When I am caught up in finding fault in others, I am at fault.  How wicked my sins appear in others!

We do well to keep in mind the last verse in the book of 2 Peter, chapter 3 verse 18:  "But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory both now and forever. Amen."  I cannot be content with yesterday's grace, even as yesterday's faith does me no good:  I must grow both in grace and faith today.  Only God can do this work within me, for it is God who works in me both to will and do of His good pleasure.  My role is to abide in Christ, repent of sin, break up my fallow ground, and rest in the forgiveness of my Saviour.  Micah 6:8 reads, "He has shown you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?"

Do Christians make mistakes?  Sure!  What is that to me or you, fellow believer?  I am to deny myself, take up my cross daily, and follow Jesus.  When I make a mistake, it is my divine duty to admit fault and resolve to remain free from the scourge of sin.  It is only the grace and mercy of God which convinces a man that he has been all wrong, that all along he is the one with the plank in his eye.  Romans 2:1-5 says, "Therefore you are inexcusable, O man, whoever you are who judge, for in whatever you judge another you condemn yourself; for you who judge practice the same things. 2 But we know that the judgment of God is according to truth against those who practice such things. 3 And do you think this, O man, you who judge those practicing such things, and doing the same, that you will escape the judgment of God? 4 Or do you despise the riches of His goodness, forbearance, and longsuffering, not knowing that the goodness of God leads you to repentance? 5 But in accordance with your hardness and your impenitent heart you are treasuring up for yourself wrath in the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God."

God have mercy on me, a sinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)